Sometimes you get surprised by your very own leftovers. This happened to me today as I was wondering how to use my last night’s test batch of sweet potato falafels.
I had been planning to make a corn bread someday. The bag of corn flour was already waiting for me on the table, but suddenly I decided to make a pita bread out of it instead. Rolling the dough with brown rice and corn flour was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my kitchen since the bread appeared so heavenly soft, chewy and tasty. The psyllium and chia seeds will keep it from crumbling and you can focus on enjoying every bite! 😉
And what comes when combining the bread with sweet potato falafel. Turned out to be something so delicious, would be a crime not to share.
So here we go, happy baking!
Gluten-free Corn Pita Bread
(makes approx. 6 breads)
1 ½ tbsp. chia seeds
6 tbsp water
1 cup brown rice flour
1 ½ cup corn flour
3 tbsp psyllium seed husk powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
1 tbsp agave nectar/maple syrup
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place the chia seeds in a bowl with the water, let set for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the water, agave nectar/maple syrup and chia seed -gel into the flour-mixture and stir well to combine.
- Finally add the olive oil and mix by using your hands. The dough should appear sticky and remove from the bowl and your hands pretty good.
- Place the dough to a fridge for half an hour to set. (Don’t skip this step!)
After half an hour of waiting take the bread dough out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 225°C. Form the mixture into 6 balls and flatten until 2 cm thick. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool, while you’re making the falafel.
Sweet Potato Falafel
1 small sweet potato (grated)
400g canned chickpeas
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp tahini
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper
3-4 tbsp brown rice flour
2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Start by grating the sweet potato.
- Place the (rinsed) chickpeas to a food processor with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, chilli, tahini and rest of the spices. Blend until even paste.
- Mix the grated sweet potato with the chickpea-mixture and sesame seeds, stir well to combine. Add first 2 tablespoons brown rice flour and stir, if the batter comes out too wet add more rice flour.
- Scoop out tablespoon sized balls, roll into neat balls and place on baking tray. Continue until whole mixture is used up. Sprinkle sesame seeds over and bake for about 30 minutes.
The Garlic Parsley Dressing
In a bowl mix 4 garlic cloves, handful of fresh parsley and juice of half a lemon with an oat-based ‘crème-fraiche’ (or vegan sour-cream).
The Super Simple Guacamole
Mix with a fork in a bowl one ripe avocado, juice of half a lime and some salt and pepper.
Cut the cooled pita breads to half and stuff with sweet potato falafels, guacamole, garlic parsley dressing, pickles and lots of greens. Enjoy!
Have a beautiful week!