After all this experimenting with savory foods that has been going on in my kitchen lately, I thought my chili recipe would need a little facelift too. As some time ago I posted this Mexican chilli recipe, I’m now super excited to introduce you a new, sort of updated version with dreamy oven-roasted tomatoes and a bit spicier tomato sauce. A bowlful of this delicious chunky chili will no doubt warm up your heart and soul, but leave you feeling satisfied in that light kind of way too. It’s super for dipping with some gluten free corn bread, and that’s why I’m sharing the recipes together. And as the October starting tomorrow, what could be better than having a new feel-good comfort food recipe to try? A healthy foodie’s dream. 😉
The Roasted Tomatoes
about 500g tomatoes, halved
salt & pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 175°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the tomatoes onto baking tray and toss with some salt and pepper. Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until completely soft.
The Chunky Chili
(makes approx. 4 servings)
1 yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
3 cm knob of fresh ginger
½ – 1 red chili
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried cilantro
3 x 400g can diced tomatoes
¾ cup brown rice
2-3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
400g canned chickpeas
salt & pepper to taste
- Chop the onion, garlic cloves, ginger and chili finely. (If you’re lazy like me, place them to a food processor fitted with an s-blade and pulse couple times.)
- In a large frying pan or pot heat the olive oil to hot. Transfer the chopped onion mixture to pot and sauté until very soft (about 10 minutes). Add the spices and stir couple more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and (rinsed) brown rice. Bring to boil and add the vegetable broth, starting with 2 cups. Let simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add the (rinsed) chickpeas and if needed the remaining cup of vegetable broth. Let simmer for additional 10-15 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, season with salt & pepper, serve with some corn bread rolls, and enjoy! 🙂
The Corn and Oat Bread Rolls
(makes approx. 4 rolls)
1 ¼ cups corn flour
½ cup rolled oats
1 tbsp psyllium seed husk powder
1 ½ tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ baking soda pinch of salt
1 ½ cups water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 210°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the water and olive oil and stir well by using your hands, maybe knead a bit.
- Form the dough into 3-4 even sized rolls and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve with a bowlful of chili and enjoy!
Hope you like it, have a beautiful week! 🙂
Ps. Yes, I’m working on some sweet treat recipes too. So in case you’re wondering: don’t worry, I’ll be popping them up sooN!